Thursday, September 09, 2010

The Golden State: 160 Years

September 9, 1850 -- California is admitted to the Union.


Go ahead, let's sing together ---
California, here I come
    right back where I started from.
Where Bowers of flowers
    bloom in the spring.
Each morning at dawning,
    birdies sing an' everything.
A sunkist miss said, "Don't be late"
    that's why I can hardly wait.
Open up that Golden Gate,
    California here I come.
by Buddy DeSylva and Joseph Meyer
and (at least he's often credited) Al Jolson



Gil Imber at the Mighty Miditzer Presents...
Turn of the Century, California Here I Come.
Performed on the
Mighty Miditzer Style 216 Virtual Theatre Pipe Organ.

Doesn't that sound great? Or how about this transcription by Fats Waller?



Or this record from the California Ramblers in 1924?



(Yeah, I'm a little homesick...)

2 comments:

steveeroo said...

It ain't what it used to be (what is?).

Thanks for the great renditions of a great song, for a once great state.

The enviro-wackos, the unions, and Dem. legislature have pretty much wrecked the place.

Don't get me wrong...it's still a beautiful place.

Cioara Andrei said...

Foarte interesant subiectul acesta.M-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place tare mult.Cu siguranta am sa mai revin. O zi buna!