Friday, August 21, 2009

The Ministerium is Destroyed

For some (perhaps most) of you, this will be a bit cryptic. But with the vote a few moments ago by the ELCA Churchwide Assembly to permit the rostered service of theose in committed homosexual relationships, the Lutheran Ministerium -- which was the backbone, even foundation, of the Lutheran Church in North America (as represented in the ELCA) -- is dead.

Some place I will have more to say. For now, I'm kind of numb. I do not know what to do, other than mourn deeply. This is not the time to act in any rash way (like by resigning from the ELCA clergy roster) or to begin discussions about leaving this church.

But the relationship is now unalterably impaired: there will be, officially, pastors of the ELCA who I (and many others) cannot under any circumstances recognize as pastors. We are now alienated from the very church that nurtured us in the Faith. And from now on, the ELCA is no longer one church in any way except on paper.

Kyrie eleison. (Lord, have mercy.)
Christe eleison. (Christ, have mercy.)
Kyrie eleison. (Lord, have mercy.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Zip you will be in my prayers during this very difficult time.

Mike

William Weedon said...

Ditto. Remember, Father, you have the truth on your side and the truth WILL finally conquer the lie. Never doubt it for a second. Ne desperemus! God's peace and much love.

Jeff Branch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ron Renken said...

Pastor-

I left the the Lutheran church years ago, I went from Missouri Synod, to ELCA, to now Agnostic. I feel that the love of the church and it's members should be granted to all members of the faith, regardless of their lifestyles. Please consider accepting the Lutherans in your heart, and help them as they travel through difficult times, as St Luther experienced himself. The Lord should accept all faithful.

Stan Palmer said...

Pastor Zip,

As I have grown to appreciate your views and voice (At Synod Assembly) I turn to you among others for guidance and support. While the vote on homosexuality is an important issue, the real problem is turning our back on the Word and trying to humanize God (make ourselves equal to God). The Devil has done his work in the years of preparation for Minneapolis 2009.

As one who believes in the “Priesthood of All Believers” I too am part of the ministerium which has been attacked but NOT destroyed. I am confident that ordained ministers like you will lead us away from this path to self destruction. I as a layman will also work to that end.

Prayfully, the Old Lutheran expression of Faith and Grace will emerge like a Phoenix from the ashes of the ELCA.

Grace to you and all who care!

Stan

Unknown said...

I cried myself to sleep Friday night. I am heart broken. I am just one person in one parish, nothing special, not a shaker or mover in the Church, but I know right from wrong and this is wrong. I will not quote scripture or debate. I am going towait and see what my Pastor and congregation do, but if nothing happens I will leave and goes where the spirit leads me.The Voice of one crying in Virginia

jasonbradyut said...

This is just appalling. If Luther, the late German Christian protester, would still be here…where the denomination “Lutherans” derived from, he would be stunned and completely disappointed in this horrible abomination to the Word of God and the Gospel. I totally am against this election. When God created “man” he created Adam and Eve, NOT Adam and STEVE!!! Hello people. This is a direct form of disobedience to God. And this is happening in a Church, a denomination that professes to know the Word of God???? Please, God will have to deal with you guys…and it won’t be pretty.

Steve Martin said...

I'm very sorry, Pastor for this travesty foisted upon the congregations of the ELCA.

Our congregation is having a special meeting next Sunday after worship, to start the process of figuring out what to do next.

I will be praying for you.